Myths surround all aspects of our lives. Through generations, false information is shared for many reasons – from good behavior to ensuring processes, families share bizarre stories.
As we start having families of our own, we start telling our children anything possible to make them brush their teeth. Through all these legends, what actually works? Here are some of the top dental myths being repeated that you can take out of your oral routine.
- You should only go to the dentist when you have toothaches
- Not true! Visiting the dentist should be routine! Generally, patients are recommended to see the dentist every six months for cleanings. During the cleanings, your dentist will be checking for signs of gingivitis, tooth tenderness, cavities, tooth decay, and any other signs of poor oral hygiene. Seeking dental attention when you already are in pain most likely means you are experiencing major dental issues.
- Your gums are bleeding because you’re brushing and flossing too hard.
- While brushing and flossing too hard can cause your gums to bleed, the usual reason this is occurring is because your gums are irritated by potential gum disease. Even the slightest of infections can leave your gums inflamed, so if you notice abnormal bleeding, see your dental provider!
- If you have bad breath, you are not brushing your teeth well enough
- While this could be true, bad breath is not only caused by brushing your teeth. If you are experiencing daily bad breath, there may be a bigger cause. Bad breath typically comes about when your teeth are decaying or halitosis. Another reason for bad breath could simply be the food you eat or if you are sick. Brushing your teeth is a major proponent of not having bad breath, but do not believe it is the only cause. Ensure you are brushing your tongue good morning and night to reduce the stink.
If you believe you could be following oral care that may not be true, consult with your dentist. Your dentist and their staff will be able to walk you through proper oral hygiene routines. While myths may never end, your knowledge of fake oral care can!